A little under a year ago, I began buying produce at Aldi. I had tried shopping at Aldi before but never loved the whole Aldi experience. After a friend told me that she shopped there every week for the produce, I decided to give it another try. I used to be a believer in getting most of my staples at Walmart and even somehow believed that Walmart pretty much had the best prices---NOT THE CASE. Check out the price differences from my shopping trip on 3/6/10! Keep in mind, Aldi produce prices vary by region.
Russet Potatoes
Walmart-- $4.47, Aldi--$2.29
3 lb Apples
Walmart--$3.47, Aldi--$2.29
3 lb Bagged Onions
Walmart--$2.98, Aldi--$.99
Green Peppers
Walmart--$1.98/2, Aldi $1.49/2
Whole Pineapple
Walmart--$3.98, Aldi $.99
Cucumbers
Walmart--$1.98/2, Aldi $1.19/3-4 small
Baby Carrots bagged
Walmart--$1.49, Aldi--$.99
Red Seedless Grapes 2-lb
Walmart--$1.98, Aldi--$1.78
Cantaloupe
Walmart--$2.49, Aldi $1.29
Bagged Salad Baby Greens
Walmart--$2.98, Aldi--$1.99
Walmart Total for everything above: $27.80
Aldi Total for everything above: $15.29
Yearly savings by shopping at Aldi: approx $625!!
This is approximately what I save. Your savings will vary depending on what you buy and how often you shop. We eat a HUGE amount of fresh fruits and vegetables at my house!
As you can see Walmart beat none of Aldi's prices! I can't speak for everyone's store, but my Aldi has very, very nice FRESH vegetables! Ask what day your store gets their produce and shop when the selection and quality is at it's best!

9 comments:
I love shopping at ALDI for the produce too! I usually go to whichever store has the best coupon deals for the week, then go to ALDI to pick up my produce. The prices can't be beat, and most of the time I think the quality is better too.
Mary Ellen,
I think you are right, but it took me a long time to realize this!
I don't especially like the extra stop but it is well worth it!
I've never even heard of this store - wish my area had one! I try and by most of my produce from Farmer's Markets and roadside stands when in season - it's the most inexpensive way here!
Store locator:
http://aldi.us/us/html/service/store_locator_ENU_HTML.htm?WT.z_src=main
copy and paste into your browser
Thanks! There's four of them in Birmingham...a little over an hour away, lol! My sister-in-law lives there though, so I'll make sure she knows about it, and hopefully I can stop in the next time I'm up that way!
We are lucky to have many many aldi's in our area - the produce can't be beat in regards to price - I like that weekly they have super prices on a few things - like 99cent cantalope - the stores locally can't beat aldi's - enjoy mary
The few times I have tried to shop at Aldi's because of reading or hearing about other's successes, I was VERY disappointed in the quality of the produce that I got there. I bought a pineapple that turned out to be half rotten when I cut into it and red peppers that were bad 2 or 3 days after purchasing them. I know they have a money back guarantee, but I don't have time to be having to return things - I need them to be fresh in the first place. Maybe I'll give them one more try after reading the tip about finding out what day they get their produce.
I love ALDI, I started buying most of my produce and canned goods from there! Very good quality!
I love Aldi's produce... in our area they also have the cheapest milk and eggs so it is a staple of my shopping!
Post a Comment