Welcome to Money Saving Madness! This site is dedicated to helping you shop smart and save more! Here you will find coupons, deals and creative ways to save!

Don't miss any of my great deals and money saving tips by subscribing for FREE via email or RSS feed.

5.14.2009

Grocery Outlets: Gaining Popularity

Grocery outlets are gaining popularity in some areas of the United States. What are Grocery Outlets? They are stores that feature close-outs from the grocery industry. Items are purchased when they don't sell well at grocery and national chain stores and sold at outlet prices. There are also some items near or recently past expiration dates. Many items find their way to outlet shelves because companies changed the packaging. There are name brand and store brand items.
There are no fancy displays at most grocery outlets and cashiers ring all items by hand. Food is stacked in warehouse fashion. They do not accept coupons.

In Pennsylvania there is a grocery outlet chain called Sharp Shopper. I love to shop there because I can pick up items at really great prices when coupons aren't available for them. Many times prices are lower than I could have paid even after a coupon. Here are just a few examples of the prices I saw at the Sharp Shopper today:

Land O'Lakes Packaged Cheese - $.99
Box of Fiber One Bars - $.50
1-lb. of Pretzels - $.79
Food Land Turkey Hot Dogs $.50
20 pack Hot Dog Buns $1.25
Ians All Natural Organic foods - $1.39
Delmonte Canned Fruit $.50
Quaker Oatmeal Pancake Mix - $1.35
Kraft Marshmallows - $.33
---
The store where I shop has most of the things regular stores do. Produce, dairy, canned goods, toiletries, dog foods, laundry soaps, and frozen foods are neatly stacked. You can't always count on the items you see one day being there the next but there is always something new in its place.

There are grocery outlets in many states. Here are a few I've found:

Grocery Outlet, Inc. - Texas, California
Call 1-877-GR8-BUYS for a store near you.

Amelia's Grocery Outlet - Lancaster, PA & Southeastern PA

R Grocery Outlet - Ohio

The Sharp Shopper - Western Pennsylvania

Check out this CBS news article about grocery outlet stores to learn more. If you are interested in finding an outlet store near you just search "grocery outlet store + your city name" at Swagbucks or Google. You might be in for huge savings!

Grocery Outlets: Gaining PopularitySocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Print

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Thanks for this really timely post. We were traveling and when I googled Sharp Shopper I discovered there was one close to where we were staying. I have been to many outlet stores but never a specific grocery outlet. Big Lots and Ollie's carry groceries but their stores that I have been in aren't very clean. I was amazed how clean Sharp shopper was! I got some great deals like Nature Valley Granola bars for 50 cents each.

Thanks!
Joyce @ www.rejoiceinsaving.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your article! I shop at Sharp Shopper too and save loads of money each week. Did you know that they have stores in PA and VA? I shop at their Harrisonburg, VA store. Their website is http://www.sharpshopper.net and their facebook page is http://www.facebook.com/SharpShopperGroceryOutlet for anyone who wants to check them out.

Joan S.

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.