Welcome to Money Saving Madness! This site is dedicated to helping you shop smart and save more! Here you will find coupons, deals and creative ways to save!

Don't miss any of my great deals and money saving tips by subscribing for FREE via email or RSS feed.

6.22.2009

Save Hundreds by Giving Hair Cuts at Home


Two years ago I decided that it might just be a big money saver to cut my kids hair. I went into the venture with fairly low expectations.  I had never cut anyone's hair, but figured it could not hurt to try.  Just two haircuts per month would save well over $200 per year when you consider the tips!

I'm pretty picky when it comes to my kids and how they look but I found that I can give my boys comparable barber shop cut and I quite enjoyed doing it!  I'm not giving buzz cuts either!  I use the clippers on the back and sides and trim the top with scissors.

The first haircuts were not perfect, and I learned along the way.  But two years later, I can say I can give a very nice haircut in a pretty quick manner to my two boys!

One of the best things I did was purchase a trimmer/clipper kit that included an informational DVD on how to cut hair. The Conair Combo Cut 27-piece kit has everything you need to get started! I purchased this kit at Walmart for $26.22.







If you don't want to cut hair, there are still ways to save:
  • Keep girls hairstyles long. No bangs make it easier to go longer between haircuts.
  • Trim bangs and around ears/neck to stretch more time between cuts.
  • Find someone who cuts hair out of their home. Usually their fees are significantly less than barber shops or hair salons.
  • Check around for prices. If you have discount salons, like SuperCuts in your area, you could save significantly by taking your whole family.
  • Trade services with someone you know who cuts hair.
  • Try barber shops instead of pricey salons.

Save Hundreds by Giving Hair Cuts at HomeSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Print

4 comments:

Amy -Cutting Coupons in KC said...

I have been debating trying to cut my son's hair. This week at CVS they have the Remington Haircut Kit on sale for $14.99. I think you have inspired me to go buy it! My husband is reluctant (he had a bad experience with his Mom cutting his hair when he was a child) but I think I will try it. If I mess-up at least kid's hair grows as fast as they do!!

Anonymous said...

I started cutting my husband's hair soon after we got married. I figure this has saved us hundreds. Now I let him "splurge" occasionally if we have a Great Clips coupon for a $5 or $8 haircut....plus it gives me a break once in a while. (And they fix any spots I had a problem with! haha)

Anonymous said...

A few months ago, I decided to start cutting my husband and my son's hair and it's the best decision I ever made. We always put off taking my son because he hated it and now it's no big deal for mommy to do it. After I did my husband's the first time, he said he loved it, but I knew the true test would be if he asked me to do it again a couple weeks later...and he did ask again! :)

--Amanda

Nonna said...

Good for you...it's scary if you have no training, but I suggest for those new to hair cutting on kids to do it during the summer, when the kids are out of school, so if there are any boo-boos, it will grow out before school starts.

As a former hair stylist, I saved on haircuts / coloring for my 5 kids and myself for over 30 years ( I sure got my money's worth all those years from my schooling and time working in the profession ) My Hubs was in the military, so he got his cuts free or very cheap most of the time.

Then, I woke up one morning and decided it was time to pamper myself and get my hair done by someone else ! I think I earned it...LOL

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.