Welcome to Money Saving Madness! This site is dedicated to helping you shop smart and save more! Here you will find coupons, deals and creative ways to save!

Don't miss any of my great deals and money saving tips by subscribing for FREE via email or RSS feed.

5.24.2010

Make Your Own Bisquick Baking Mix


I really enjoy the ease of using Bisquick for pancakes, Belgian waffles, biscuits, and other quick recipes. I haven't always been able to find it at a great price, and lately just quit buying it.  I have made my own baking mix in the past and am going back to it for a couple of reasons.

  • It is far cheaper to make your own

  • It is much healthier when you can control the sodium and add whole wheat flour in place of some of the white flour.

  • It is easy to keep on hand and mix up a new batch when you run out
This homemade baking mix is easy to prepare and store.  Plus, you can use it in any recipe that calls for Bisquick or baking mixes. Just follow the directions on any baking mix box to make pancakes, waffles, biscuits, and more!

Homemade Baking Mix
8 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup baking powder
2 tsp salt
8 tsp sugar (optional)
1 cup Crisco Shortening

Mix together dry ingredients.  Then cut in 1 cup Crisco with pastry blender or fork until it forms a very fine consistency.

Store in air tight container.  Will stay fresh for several months if refrigerated.

To make biscuits:  add 1/3 cup milk for each cup of biscuit mix.  Mix and roll out on floured surface. Cut out and bake at 425 until browned.

Make Your Own Bisquick Baking MixSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend
Print

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was out of baking mix tonight so I tried your recipe. It worked great! Thanks for the recipe.

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.