One year ago, I wrote this post as I began giving my kids haircuts at home. I purchased a clipper kit much like this Conair Rechargeable Cord/Cordless 21-pc. Haircut Kit. The kit came with a video that showed how to use the clippers and how to cut hair with the scissors.
I paid around $26 for the kit and decided to give it a try. I had been spending $20 per month plus tip to have my two boys' get their hair cut at the local barber shop. The cost of the clippers basically was the cost of one trip to the barber shop.
I am back one year later to report the success of this venture! In one year I have NOT ONCE taken my boys to get their hair professionally cut. I have been so pleased with the results of my cuts, I haven't even worried about getting their hair cut even for pictures!
To clarify, I am not giving buzz cuts! In fact until last week neither of my boys has ever gotten a buzz cut. After watching the video that came with my clippers, I have done very well cutting with the scissors!
In the past year I have saved approximately $288! I also have been cutting my dad's hair, saving him $12 per month, bringing the total to $432 in savings. (In case you are wondering, my husband still won't let me cut his hair, but that is another story).
If you have been considering giving haircuts at home, I highly recommend purchasing a kit that includes everything including the how-to video. This Conair Rechargeable Cord/Cordless 21-pc. Haircut Kit sounds even better than the Conair kit I have been so impressed with. The rechargeable feature is an added bonus! This kit ships for just $30.50!
6.23.2010
Save Money with Hair Cuts at Home -- an Update!
Save Money with Hair Cuts at Home -- an Update!Posted by Michelle at 6/23/2010
Labels: Frugal Tip
6 comments:
I, too, have given up professional haircuts for my kids. Until this summer I was doing it all with scissors, but now that they are bigger and the clippers are there I've given them both a buzz. We'll let it grow out for the winter, but it is nice now. I love how much money I'm saving as well as being the one in control of their "look".
My husband won't let me cut his hair either, but he found a place to get it cut for $8 including tip (under $100 a year isn't too bad). I have been cutting my own hair since college as well. It is harder to do, but I figure if I mess it up it will grow out - right? I save myself a lot more $$ by cutting my own hair. Granted, it would be nice to have someone else do it once in a while, but we aren't ready to splurge like that yet! Thanks for your post, I've been thinking it might be time to upgrade the clippers. I'm going to start doing some research!
I cut my husband's hair! He loves it. Luckily, I only need to use one setting on the clippers! He loves saving money as much as I do! :-)
When my husband and I were dating and starting to talk about getting married, we went out and bought some clippers and I started cutting his hair for him. I'd only cut my brothers' hair a couple of times so it was something I wasn't perfect at but have gotten better at over the last 5 years. His hair grows fast, so he needs it cut every 4-6 wks, so the $15 we spent on the clippers have been WELL worth it! I also cut my 3yr old's hair, so that saves us money too! I also cut my brothers hair everso often which helps my mom out, too.
I cut my husband's, son's and daughter's hair. I use clippers on the sides and scissor cut the top. I really looks good. I have gotten very good at it and it is so convenient to do at home...besides all of the money we save.
To clarify, I don't clipper cup my daughter's hair....I scissor cut her long hair :)
I am not brave enough to cut my hubbys hair however my brother cuts the dogs hair which is quite a savings - he uses a Flo-B - remember those!!!! zelda
Post a Comment